Yala National Park is in the southern part of Sri Lanka and is closer to the Indian Ocean. There are 5 zones within this national park. Only zone 1 and zone 5 are open to the public. The other zones in the park are used for film shoots and research work. The Zone 1 is mostly visited to spot wildlife, birds, flora, and fauna. You can spot birds, buffalos, elephants, leopards, and other big cats at this national park. Let’s know more about the Yala National Park entrance fee and about the safari and other tours.
- Where Is Yala National Park Situated?
- Amazing Yala National Park Facts
- How Many Leopards Are There In Yala National Park?
- How Big Is Yala National Park?
- What Animals Are In Yala National Park?
- How Many National Parks Are There In Sri Lanka?
- Yala National Park Safari
- Yala National Park Tours
- Yala National Park Entrance Fee
- Yala National Park Accommodation
- What Is The Best Time To Visit Yala National Park?
1. Where Is Yala National Park Situated?
Yala National park is situated close to two sacred pilgrim sites of Sri Lankans. This is a national park as well as a wildlife sanctuary. Various ancient civilizations were a part of this national park. Within this national park is the Ruhuna National Park in Zone 1 and Kumara National Park in Zone 5. This national park is located inside the Uva province in Sri Lanka and is nearest to the city Hambantota.
2. Amazing Yala National Park Facts
Amazing Yala National park facts are:
- This national park is famous for leopards
- You can camp inside the national park and spot wildlife
- This national park is also known as Uda Walawe
- There are at least 500 elephants inside this national park
- Between the months of July and October, you can view the elephant gathering
- You can spot dolphins as well as the blue whale near Mirissa and Kalpitiya
- This national park has rock formation from the Precambrian era that forms the history of the Earth
- In the Tsunami in 2004, it impacted this park and 250 people died
- You can find various forests and ecosystems inside this national park
- There are 215 species of birds inside this national park
- King Ravana from the Ramayana mythology had set up his kingdom at this national park in the early times
3. How Many Leopards Are There In Yala National Park?
There are 25 leopards that have been spotted till date inside the Yala national park. This national park is popular for spotting of leopards and in another block, you can find 40 leopards. One of the best ways to spot a leopard is during the dry season. Take a leopard safari when the season is dry to spot them roaming freely in the vicinity.
4. How Big Is Yala National Park?
The park is spread across 979 square km. It is situated 300 km from the capital of Sri Lanka, Colombo city. When you take a safari within the national park, follow the rules of the jungle. Keep the mobile on silent mode, do not eat foods that have odors, do not smoke, drink, or make any noise during the safari.
5. What Animals Are In Yala National Park?
Leopards, elephants, monkeys, spotted deer, wild buffalos, wild sloth bears, crocodiles, and many other species of mammals can be spotted in this national park. You can enjoy a lot of outdoor activities inside this national park. Camping, safaris, and trekking are the activities that you can do at this national park.
6. How Many National Parks Are There In Sri Lanka?
Sri Lanka is a hub for nature and wildlife lovers. There are 22 national parks in Sri Lanka. Amongst all the national parks, Yala is the most popular national park. These national parks are closer to the peninsula of Sri Lanka.
7. Yala National Park Safari
There are many private tours and Yala national park safaris that you can pre-book before visiting the national park. At the national park, a jeep safari is arranged. A total of 6 persons are accommodated inside the jeep for the safari.
Yala National Park Safari Timings
The Yala National park safari timings are between 06:00hrs to 18:00hrs. Yala National Park safari timings vary depending on the tour operators you choose. There are various schedules that operate in the morning and the afternoon. You can choose from any of the sessions and block the ticket for the safari.
8. Yala National Park Tours
Yala National Park Tour Cost:
- Yala national park tour cost for half day is $40.
- Yala national park tour cost for the full day is $75.
- Guided Yala national park tour cost for the full day for 12hr is $90.
The rates of the tours may vary depending on the operator you choose. You get a pickup and drop with these safaris.
Most of the tours last for 6 to 8 hours and are day tours. A few tours include lunch, pick up, and drop facility. There are also full day tours that last between 8 to 14 hours. There are packages where lunch and BBQ inside the jungle are arranged. A luxury camping tour for 1 day and night is available that includes leopard safari and BBQ in the jungle and this tour costs $125.
The leopard safari tour lasts between 5 to 14 hours and costs $55. There are many private safari tours inside the national park that cost $55 approximately and last for 2-3 hours in the daytime
You can also take the luxury jeep safari that costs $54 and lets you get a closer glimpse of wildlife. You will be taken to spots where you can find elephants, leopards, sloth bears, jackals, spotted deer, peacocks, and many other wild animals and birds.
9. Yala National Park Entrance Fee
- The Yala National Park entrance fee for foreigners is $13.
- Yala National Park entrance fee for the foreign child is $7 inclusive of VAT for a day visit.
- The Yala National Park entrance fee for the overnight stay adult tourist is $30.
- Yala National Park entrance fee for the overnight stay for a foreign child is $16.
10. Yala National Park Accommodation
- The cost of accommodation inside Yala national park for the first night is $8.30 per 10 people,
- Yala national park accommodation chargers per 10 people on the second night is $16.70,
- The cost of accommodation inside Yala national park for 10 people on the third night is $25,
These are the rates for accommodation with the facilities provided by the forest department. There are also hotels inside the national park that offer as much as 30% discount on accommodation and free dinner. You can also opt for tented camping accommodation if you want to live amidst the jungle.
11. What Is The Best Time To Visit Yala National Park?
Best time to visit Yala national park is between the months of February to June. This is the dry season and your chances of spotting the wildlife are high during this season. The park is closed in the month of September for maintenance.
Read More: 15 Best Places To Visit In Sri Lanka Tourism