The Jag Mandir Palace is located on the picturesque Lake Pichola, Udaipur. This is a palatial structure with beautiful architecture and many pieces that are highly ornate and have beautiful motifs and carvings. Jag Mandir Palace was built in the 17th century by Maharana Karan Singh. There are many structures inside this palace that have beautiful architecture and interiors. It is also known as the Lake Garden Palace. It is located in Udaipur.
1. Jag Mandir History and Story
Maharana Karan Singh built this palace and used it as a hiding place to protect himself from the revolt of the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan. A part of this palace is converted into a restaurant, hotel, and spa. Maharana Jagat Singh added many structures to this palace that is why it is called Jag Mandir Palace. Prince Khurram, an estranged son of Emperor Jahangir used this palace as a hideout.
2. Jag Mandir Architecture
This is a three-storeyed palace that has royal gardens, courtyards, and pavilions. This palace is constructed in an octagonal shape and has many cupolas. Most of the structures inside the palace are built in the Rajput-Mughal blend of architectural style. Gul Mahal is a palace where Emperor Shah Jahan stayed. This is a palace that has a magnificent dome, marble chattris, and carvings of elephants.
The Gul Mahal is built in the Islamic style of architecture. It is said that Shah Jahan built the Taj Mahal with the ideas used in the style and design of Jag Mandir Palace. There is a museum inside this palace.
3. Best Things To Do Nearby Jag Mandir Udaipur
3.1 Take A Boat Ride In Lake Pichola Udaipur
You can take a scenic boat ride in Lake Pichola, take pictures. This is one of the romantic things to do on Lake Pichola. Bask in the beauty of the surroundings of the lake and view the magnificent palace in the vicinity.
3.2 Take A Shahi Cooking Class
Learn to cook the Rajasthani cuisine and relish on the dishes. These are fun and learning classes that you can take and entertain yourself learning the culinary skills of cooking the authentic royal Rajasthani food.
3.3 Buy Hand Paintings At The Gothwal Art Shop
One kilometer from the Jag Mandir Palace is this shop which sells miniature and hand made paintings. You can buy amazing artworks at this shop and send it as gift items to your near and dear ones.
3.4 Visit City Palace And Museum
This is one of the most magnificent palaces in Udaipur. You can visit this palace and view its architecture, history, decor, and marvel at its beauty. Soak in the authentic and ancient Rajasthani culture visiting this palace and viewing the artifacts and collections on display.
Read More: Places To Visit In Jaipur Tourism Rajasthan
3.5 View The Sunset At Ambrai Ghat
This is one of the most popular landmarks where you get the view of Lake Pichola and the Jag Mandir. You can view the magnificent sunset at this place. It has calm and serene waters with local musical groups playing guitar by the side of the lake.
3.6 Take Vintage Walking Tours
Take a historical and heritage walking tour that covers Jag Mandir, City Palace, Lake Pichola, Jagdish Temple, Bagore Ki Haveli, and do not miss the evening dance show at this haveli. Use a local tour guide to take this vintage heritage walk, taking pictures, and soaking in the art and culture of Udaipur and Rajasthan.
4. Jag Mandir Udaipur Facts
- Emperor Shah Jahan used the Jag Mandir Palace as a refuge.
- Before becoming an emperor, Shah Jahan stayed at the Gul Mahal in Jag Mandir With his wife Mumtaz Begum and his children.
- Women and children of many European families used this palace as a refuge during World War I.
- Jag Mandir Palace was named after Maharaja Jagat Singh who built many structures within the palace including the Gul Mahal.
- Shah Jahan took ideas from the design and architecture of Jag Mandir Palace and built the Taj Mahal, one of the seven wonders of the world.
- The Jag Mandir Palace is made in pink and yellow sandstone and was completed in the 17th century.
- The museum inside the palace complex has collections from the Mewar dynasty.
- There is a Darikhana restaurant inside the Jag Mandir Palace where you can relish the Rajasthani delicacies.
- There is a beautiful garden that surrounds the palace.
- The Bara Patharon Ka Mahal is a palace made with 12 columns of marble.
5. Jag Mandir Nearby Attractions In Udaipur
The Udaipur City Palace, Vintage Classic Car Museum, Jagdish temple, Lake Fatehsagar, Bagore Ki Haveli, Lake Palace, Kumbhalgarh Fort, and Saheliyon ki Bari gardens are some of the nearby attractions that are closer to the Jag Mandir Palace.
6. Best Time To Visit Jag Mandir Udaipur
Months between September and March are the best time to visit this palace. The view you get in this pleasant weather is breathtaking. You can enjoy many outdoor activities during these months as there is no scorching heat to deal with.
7. How To Reach Jag Mandir Udaipur
You can take many private boat rides and cruises to reach this palace. You can hire a private taxi to reach Lake Pichola and take a one-hour boat ride to reach the palace.
8. Jag Mandir Udaipur Location
9. Jag Mandir Images
View this post on Instagram
Adding that Royal touch.. #jagmandir #udaipur #rajasthan #travel #traveling #vacation #visiting #instatravel #instago #instagood #trip #photooftheday #picoftheday #tourist #tourism #holiday #instatravelling #mytravelgram #travelgram #rajasthantourism #aapnoudaipur #udaipurlove #royal #wannagoback #travelphotography #throwback #wanderlust