The Statue of Unity is the World’s largest statue and is located in the state of Gujarat, India. Sardar Patel statue has been the ambitious project of India’s PM Narendra Modi. It is the statue of freedom fighter Sardar Vallabhai Patel. He was an Indian politician and the first Deputy Prime Minister of independent India. Sardar Vallabhai Patel statue faces the Narmada dam and can withstand strong winds, earthquakes, and vibrations. It was inaugurated on 31 October 2018 by PM Narendra Modi.
- Who Is Sardar Vallabhai Patel?
- What Is The Height Of Sardar Patel Statue?
- Sardar Patel Statue Location
- Where Is Sardar Patel Statue Being Built?
- What Is The Birth Place Of Sardar Vallabhai Patel?
- Who Is The Father Of Sardar Vallabhai Patel?
- What Is The Name Of Sardar Patel’s Wife?
- Who Is The Son Of Sardar Vallabhai Patel?
- Who Gave The Title Sardar To Vallabhai Patel?
- Statue Of Unity Facts
- Sardar Vallabhai Patel Statue Cost
- Sardar Patel Statue Budget
- Why Is Sardar Patel Known As The Iron Man Of India?
- How To Reach The Statue Of Unity?
Who Is Sardar Vallabhai Patel?
Sardar Vallabhai Patel was known as the ‘iron man’ of India. He was a lawyer, politician, freedom fighter, and the first Home Minister and Deputy Prime Minister of independent India. He was born in the family of farmers in the state of Gujarat. Without formal education, he aced the exam of Law and became a lawyer. He was born on 31 October 1875. He was also one of the leaders of the Indian National Congress.
What Is The Height Of Sardar Patel Statue?
The Statue of Unity dedicated to Sardar Vallabhai Patel is the world’s tallest statue of 182 meters height. It is bigger than Statue of Liberty which 93 meters, and one of the Seven Wonders of the World, Christ the Redeemer statue of the height 38 meters. The Spring of temple of Buddha statue in China is of 153 meters. Sardar Vallabhai Patel statue has been the ambitious project of PM Narendra Modi was inaugurated on the birthday of Sardar Patel, 31 October in the year 2018.
Sardar Patel Statue Location
The Statue of Unity faces the Narmada River and is located on the Sardar Sarovar Dam in Kevadia, Gujarat. This location has been chosen because it is named after Sardar Patel. The Narmada is one of the sacred rivers in India and this dam is one of the largest dams in India. In the idyllic region of Sadhu Bet, this dam is located and a statue erected facing the dam and the river.
Where Is Sardar Patel Statue Being Built?
Most of the raw material for this project has been sourced from China. Bronze plates for the statue have been sourced from China. Larsen & Toubro is the company along with the Padma Bhushan sculptor Ram V Sutar have built this statue in Sadhu Bet. Though there has been criticism that this statue is ‘Made in China’ which opposes the concept of ‘Made in India,’ Sardar Vallabhai Patel Statue stands to be the tallest structure in the world.
What Is The Birth Place Of Sardar Vallabhai Patel?
Though the real birthdate of Sardar Patel is unknown, it is said that he was born in Nadiad, Gujarat. At the age of 22, he completed his matriculation and studied law by borrowing books from senior lawyers and aced the law and barrister exams. He was born in the family of farmers who were expecting him to do a common job.
Who Is The Father Of Sardar Vallabhai Patel?
His father, Jhaverbhai Patel was a farmer. His family thought that he is unambitious and expected him to do menial jobs. He was not matriculated until the age 22. He helped peasants of Gujarat and joined the India National Congress after completing barring examination from England. Sardar Patel has been known to be of a stoical character and a person with strong principles.
What Is The Name Of Sardar Patel’s Wife?
Jhaverba was the name of Sardar Patel’s wife. She was a cancer patient and died during the operation. Sardar Patel loved his wife deeply and did not marry post her death. They had a daughter and son through marriage. His wife died when he was 33 years of age.
Who Is The Son Of Sardar Vallabhai Patel?
Dahyabhai Patel is the son of Sardar Vallabhai Patel. He spent his life in Mumbai as an insurance agent and also participated in Quit India Movement. He was also a member of the Parliament. Sardar Patel used to visit his residence in Mumbai as long as he lived. He served as a member of Rajya Sabha post-independence.
Who Gave The Title Sardar To Vallabhai Patel?
Mahatma Gandhi gave the title of Sardar to Vallabhai Patel. Mahatma Gandhi was imprisoned and has Sardar Patel to take care of the Satyagraha movement. His successful efforts of carrying out important movements, unifying people from various regions, and succeeding in various movements without any bloodshed earned him this title from Mahatma Gandhi.
Statue Of Unity Facts
- Sardar Vallabhai Patel statue is the world’s largest statue of the height 600 feet.
- The statue is 200 km away from Ahmedabad, which is the capital of Gujarat.
- Below the Statue of Unity is a gallery that can accommodate 200 people.
- This statue can withstand earthquakes and strong blows of the winds.
- Next to the statue is a 3-star hotel with all the amenities.
- It took 2500 workers to complete this statue.
- Indian and Chinese laborers were hired to complete this project.
- This project started on 7th October 2010.
- There are three floors at the base of this statue which includes a memorial garden, exhibition hall, and a museum.
- Iron was collected from six lakh villages from all over India.
- The foundation of the statue was inaugurated on 31 October 2013.
- You need to take a 5kms boat ride to reach the statue.
- Inside the statue, there is an observation deck at a height of 500 feet.
- The observation deck can accommodate 200 people and give a stunning view of the Satpura and Vindhyachal mountain ranges.
- The premises closer to the statue has an amusement park and convention center.
- A valley of flowers will be created on the banks of the Narmada river.
Sardar Vallabhai Patel Statue Cost
This has been one of the biggest projects under the reign of PM Narendra Modi and it cost $420 million dollars. In Indian rupees, it cost Rs. 2989 crores. A lot of farmers and villagers are unhappy with this project as it cost them their primary resources and they complain about water shortage in their villages.
Sardar Patel Statue Budget
Many companies funded this project. The Indian Oil Corporation funded with 900 crores, Bharat Petroleum with 250 crores, and many other oil and gas companies funded this project with funds ranging from 50 crores to 250 crores with the India Oil Corporation having the highest funding. A total of Rs. 2989 crores were funded to create this project.
Why Is Sardar Patel Known As The Iron Man Of India?
Sardar Patel merged many states and brought about unity in India through his stoical character and efforts. This is the reason he is called the ‘Ironman of India.’ His achievements and contributions to unify the country led him to win this title.
How To Reach The Statue Of Unity?
There are various domestic flights from various cities to Vadodara. You can also take a road trip from Mumbai to reach this place taking the National Highway 48 and 64. There are many websites online where you can buy tickets to visit the Statue of Unity. The tickets for adults and children above the age of 15 is Rs 350. Entry is free for children below 3 years of age.