The Great Wall of China is one of the seven wonder of the World and a UNESCO heritage site since 1987. One of the Great Wall of China facts is it is the only monument on the planet Earth that is visible from the moon. It is extended to such great lengths that it covers mountains, plateaus, valleys, deserts, and many other grasslands. A few parts of the Great Wall are in ruins and tourists can only visit a few portions of the site that have amenities and pathways. There are various portions of the Great Walls and the average height of the wall is 20 to 26 feet and the largest portion has the height 46 feet of the wall. It is located in Huairou in China. Here you will get to know more about the Great Wall of China history and the Great wall of China facts.
- Great Wall Of China History
- When Was The Great Wall Of China Built?
- Is The Great Wall Of China A Seven Wonder Of The World?
- Who Built The Great Wall Of China?
- Why Was The Great Wall Of China Built?
- How Many Years Did It Take To Build The Great Wall Of China?
- Great Wall Of China Facts
- How Big Is The Great Wall Of China?
- Where Is The Beginning And The End Of The Great Wall Of China?
- How Long Does It Take To Walk The Great Wall Of China?
Great Wall Of China History
Great wall of China history is it was built by various dynasties who ruled the Chinese Empire and built it to prevent Mongolian invaders. This wall spreads across 15 regions in China and many Chinese rulers post the Ming dynasty built this wall. The Great Wall of China is a collection of walls and is not a single wall that stretches over many miles. More than 20 dynasties since the 7th century were responsible for building this Great Wall. In the Great Wall of China history, the Badaling is the most popular portion of the Great Wall that spans over Beijing and has the most stunning scenic views. Millions of laborers who were convicts were used as laborers to toil and work to build the wall as a punishment.
When Was The Great Wall Of China Built?
The construction of the Great wall between 220-206 B.C and since then it took 2000 year to build these series of fortifications by various Chinese dynasties. The Ming dynasty was the last to add to this imperial fortification. The majority of the portion of the Great Wall was built between 13th and 16th century by the Ming dynasty.
Is The Great Wall Of China A Seven Wonder Of The World?
Great wall of China is the largest man-made a series of fortifications that have used millions of laborers and has been a dedicated work that was completed in 2000 years. This is the reason it is one of the Seven Wonder of the World. Through various dynasties, the Chinese have been building this wall that spans across various geographical regions in China. It is a wonder the centuries of dedication that has been taking to build these series of fortifications.
Who Built The Great Wall Of China?
The first emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang initiated to build the Great Wall to unify China. He initiated this massive project in which many lives were taken due to hard work of building this Great Wall. Many Chinese emperors took their turns from various dynasties and periods to build this world’s longest fortification. There are many watchtowers, signaling facilities for smoke and fire, troop barracks, and other control mechanisms engineered into this Great Wall.
Why Was The Great Wall Of China Built?
It was built to unify China, use it as a silk route, and prevent invasions. This route was also used for transportation and trading purpose. Mongolians would raid China regularly and this wall was specially built to protect Mongolian invasions and attacks of the enemies. It was also used as a military defense from all kinds of attacks and invasions and to keep a watch on the border of China.
How Many Years Did It Take To Build The Great Wall Of China?
It took 2000 years to complete the entire construction of the Great Wall of China. The Great Wall is 21196 kilometers long and it took 691 days for Stephen Robert Loken from Norway to scale the entire length of the Great Wall. Till date, the wall built by the Ming dynasty which spans over 6000 kilometers has not yet been scaled by anyone.
Great Wall Of China Facts
- This is the lengthiest wall on the Earth.
- In Chinese, the Great Wall of China is called ‘Changcheng’.
- Materials and bricks from the Great Wall have been used to build homes and other structures.
- The length of the Great Wall is equal to the half of the Equator.
- The construction of the Great Wall was completed in 1644.
- Every year 10 million people visit the Great Wall.
- Early in 220 B.C glutinous rice was used to bind the bricks.
- Jiankou is the most dangerous section of the Great Wall.
- There are 7000 lookout towers in the Great Wall.
- Temples of Gandhi, the God of War are built between the Great Wall.
- The wheelbarrow was invented during the construction of the Great Wall.
- The gunpowder was also invented by the Chinese during the construction of the Great Wall.
- It is estimated that in the next 20 years a portion of the Great Wall may disappear due to erosion.
- It would take 18 months to scale the entire Great Wall.
- This is one of the most expensive constructions in the world.
- This is one among the seven wonder of the world.
How Big Is The Great Wall Of China?
The Great Wall of China facts is it is 21196 kilometers long. Inside the Great Wall, there are many Chinese relics which are more than 40,000 in number. Every dynasty built 5000 kilometers of the wall approximately. There are barriers such as water bodies, rivers, and mountains within the Great Wall.
Where Is The Beginning And The End Of The Great Wall Of China?
The starting point of the Great Wall of China is Hushan and it ends at Jiayuguan Pass. The wall ends in Laolongtou and ends in the Bohai Sea. In the Great Wall of China history, the Jiayuguan Pass is said to be the most effective military system that prevented invaders from entering the borders of China. This is the greatest pass that has military architecture and many legendary stories attached to it.
How Long Does It Take To Walk The Great Wall Of China?
There are many explorers who scaled the entire Great Wall of China over many decades. One of the interesting Great Wall of China facts is it takes 18 months to two years to scale the entire Great Wall of China. A Norway explorer and a Chinese explorer have scaled the seven wonder of the world the Great Wall of China in a span of nearly 2 years.
Read More: Machu Picchu Peru: 7 Wonders Of The World