Hawa Mahal a World Heritage, was built in the 17th century by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh. The purpose of building this palace was for the Royal woman to enjoy the events, festivals, and processions on the street. The architectural style of Hawa Mahal is a blend of Rajput and Mughal architecture. The palace is located in Jaipur, the ‘Pink City.’ The facade of the palace resembles a honeycomb and is built without a foundation. You can marvel the architectural style of this palace.
- Why Is It Called Hawa Mahal?
- What Is The Specialty Of Hawa Mahal?
- Hawa Mahal History
- Hawa Mahal Facts
- How Many Windows Does Hawa Mahal Have?
- What Is The Other Name Of Hawa Mahal?
- How Many Rooms Are There In Hawa Mahal?
- Is Hawa Mahal A World Heritage Site?
- How To Reach Hawa Mahal?
- Best Time To Visit Hawa Mahal?
- Hawa Mahal Address
- Hawa Mahal Pincode
1. Why Is It Called Hawa Mahal?
Hawa Mahal a World heritage is also known as ‘The Palace of Winds.’ It is so called because it has 953 windows that let the cool breeze in keeping the palace cool on the inside. Though Jaipur is a hot city, the palace remains cool on the inside due to this reason. This palace was the summer retreat of the Royals.
2. What Is The Specialty Of Hawa Mahal?
Hawa Mahal is the tallest building that is built without any foundation. It is a five-storied palace that is built in the shape of the crown of Lord Krishna. This is the only palace that does not have a front entrance. It does not have a staircase to reach the top floors. The top floors can only be reached by a ramp.
3. Hawa Mahal History
The construction of Hawa Mahal is using pink and red sandstone. And was built by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh in 1799. The design of Hawa Mahal was inspired from Khetri Mahal. This is a 50 feet fortification that remains cool even during summers. Inside the palace, every room has marbles of different colors. Inside the courtyard of the palace is an archeological palace. Lal Ustad Chand designed Hawa Mahal.
4. Hawa Mahal Facts
- Hawa Mahal is a world heritage site.
- It was built by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh in the shape of the crown of Lord Krishna because he was a devotee of the lord.
- The windows of the Hawa Mahal are called ‘Jharokha’.
- The Royal Rajputs followed the veil system for their woman and that is also one of the reasons why this palace was constructed so that they can watch the events on the street without showing themselves to the general public.
- The walls of this palace are less a foot in width.
- The palace leans to an angle of 87 degrees because it was not built on a foundation.
- The windows of the palace are designed in the intricate latticework.
- Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh was a poet and a lover of art.
5. How Many Windows Does Hawa Mahal Have?
Hawa Mahal has 953 windows and is known as ‘Jhorakas.’ There is latticework on the windows and they are ornate and beautifully decorated with this intricate design. This is the only palace that has more than 900 windows that are very decorative in style.
6. What Is The Other Name Of Hawa Mahal?
Hawa Mahal is also called ‘Palace of Winds.’ This palace was used as a summer retreat by the Royals as the palace remains cooler during all the seasons of the year. The scorching heat of the summer does not affect the temperature of the palace inside.
7. How Many Rooms Are There In Hawa Mahal?
The number of rooms in Hawa Mahal is equal to the number of windows. There are 953 rooms in Hawa Mahal. Royal women used to look through the windows of these rooms because they were not allowed to be seen by the general public.
8. Is Hawa Mahal A World Heritage Site?
Hawa Mahal a world heritage site known for its unique architecture and design. It is the most unique fortification in the world that is built without a foundation. From the top floor of this palace, you get a good view of the city.
9. How To Reach Hawa Mahal?
Road and rail service to Jaipur is available from various cities. Once you reach Jaipur, you can take a bus or a taxi to reach this palace. Hawa Mahal is 5.2 km from Jaipur railway station and 30 minutes of distance from Jaipur International airport.
10. Best Time To Visit Hawa Mahal?
Winters are pleasant in Jaipur. You can visit Jaipur during this season as summers are very hot and not recommended for touring in Jaipur. You can enjoy the architecture and the interiors of this palace when you visit Hawa Mahal in winter.
11. Hawa Mahal Address
Hawa Mahal Rd, Badi Choupad, J.D.A. Market, Pink City, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India 302002
12. Hawa Mahal Pincode
Hawa Mahal pincode 302002
Read More: Places To Visit In Jaipur Tourism Rajasthan