In the 18th century, Gustave Eiffel proposed the project for the Eiffel Tower and was selected among 170 projects that were proposed. Eiffel Tower is one of the global iconic towers in France and attracts many tourists throughout the year. The Eiffel Tower has an interesting history surrounding it and Eiffel tower facts that can fascinate the reader about why this tower was constructed and how it stayed there over centuries. Know more about the Eiffel tower tickets.
- What Is The Story Behind The Eiffel Tower?
- Why Was The Eiffel Tower Built?
- What Does The Eiffel Tower Symbolize?
- Eiffel Tower Facts
- How Many People Died Building The Eiffel Tower?
- What Are Interesting Facts About Eiffel Tower?
- Will The Eiffel Tower Rust?
- How Many Stairs Are In The Eiffel Tower?
- How Much Does The Eiffel Tower Weigh?
- Eiffel Tower Height
- How Much Are Eiffel Tower Tickets?
- Can You Buy Eiffel Tower Tickets In Advance?
- Can You Buy Tickets For The Eiffel Tower On The Day?
- How Much Does It Cost To Go To The Top Of The Eiffel Tower?
- Eiffel Tower At Night
- Can You Take Pictures Of Eiffel Tower In The Night?
- Eiffel Tower Restaurant
- What Is The Restaurant In The Eiffel Tower Called?
1. What Is The Story Behind The Eiffel Tower?
Gustave Eiffel was an entrepreneur in the 18th century. He along with his chief engineers proposed this tower for an exhibition, a World Fair that was held in 1889. The French people organized this event because they wanted a monument that stays iconic to France. Amongst all the designs that were proposed during the competition, the Eiffel Tower was selected. It also stirred so much controversy that 300 petitions were signed to stop its construction. Nevertheless, it stood amongst its competitors.
2. Why Was The Eiffel Tower Built?
The Eiffel Tower was built as a part of the competition when the World Fair was organized in the 18th century. While all the monuments and buildings surrounding the Eiffel Tower were taken down, only this landmark was retained for its uniqueness and architecture. Many opposed the safety of the construction of this building, but, nevertheless it remained in the same place it was constructed.
3. What Does The Eiffel Tower Symbolize?
Eiffel Tower was the monument that was chosen to symbolize Paris. The tower was built to symbolize the greatness of France. One of the Eiffel Tower facts is its made in wrought iron and stands as a symbol for its magnificent architecture and design.
4. Eiffel Tower Facts
- Gustave Eiffel designed the Eiffel Tower and it is named after the name of the designer.
- The Eiffel Tower is also known as the ‘Lattice Tower,’ as it designed as a framework in metal that is freestanding.
- The original design was constructed to make it like an entrance to the World Fair that was conducted in 1889.
- They retained the tower while taking down other buildings because they liked the work.
- When it was initially built for the World Fair it was not intended to be permanently placed there.
- The Eiffel Tower is 324 meters tall and is the tallest fortification in Paris.
- The wrought iron used for making Eiffel Tower is 10000 tons.
- This is the tallest man-made structure that has been standing for 41 years.
- This tower was built to celebrate 100 years of French Revolution.
- From the ground level to the first level there are 300 steps.
- Eiffel Tower has a total of 20000 light bulbs.
- Eiffel Tower was proposed to be demolished in 1909 but was retained and used as a radio antenna.
5. How Many People Died Building The Eiffel Tower?
A few people amongst 300 workers died during the making of Eiffel Tower. It took a few years to construct the tower and the mortality rate is comparatively less during the construction of this tower compared to that mortality rate building other skyscrapers.
6. What Are Interesting Facts About Eiffel Tower?
- Eiffel Tower is married. An American woman by the name Erika Aya married the tower in a ceremony in 2007. She suffers from paraphilia in which people develop sexual relation with inanimate items.
- Gustave Eiffel, the designer of the tower died listening to the symphony of Beethoven.
- Eiffel Tower was originally designed for Barcelona but was rejected.
- The entire tower has been repainted by hand.
- This is one of the most paid tourist attractions in the world.
- The tower is said to sway 2-3 inches in the wind.
- On the third floor of the tower, Gustave has constructed an apartment which is now open to the public.
- Bollywood actress Kalki Koechlin grandfather was one of the engineers of the Eiffel Tower.
- Hitler wanted to demolish the Eiffel Tower when he was about to lose Paris in the battle.
- Once upon a time, the tower was colored in yellow color.
- To reach the top of the tower you have to climb 1665 steps.
7. Will The Eiffel Tower Rust?
Every 7 years the Eiffel Tower is painted. One of the interesting Eiffel tower facts is the paint used on the tower is 60 tons of anti-corrosion paint. It takes 18 months to paint the entire tower. This paint protects the tower from rusting and corroding due to weather conditions and any chemical reaction. The tower has been repainted 18 times till date.
8. How Many Stairs Are In The Eiffel Tower?
Eiffel tower facts are there are a total of 1710 stairs inside the tower to reach the top. There are elevators to reach the first level. There are a total of 108 stories inside the tower. The French nicknamed the tower as,’The Iron Lady.’
9. How Much Does The Eiffel Tower Weigh?
The Eiffel Tower weighs 7300 tons. This huge structure sits well in a smaller space. If all the iron were to be melted, it would fit inside a cylinder of 88 meters. At the base of the tower is the names of the scientists, engineers, and mathematicians who built the tower.
10. Eiffel Tower Height
The height of the tower is 324m till the topmost point. That is, it is 1063 feet high. A person can only go up to 906 feet of the tower as it is not possible to reach the top of the tip. The tower is supported by four pillars.
11. How Much Are Eiffel Tower Tickets?
There are various packages to visit the tower. The tour tickets vary from $50 to $400 depending on what you want to see and the number of hours you want to spend on the tower sightseeing and touring. Guided tours vary in the rate of the tickets. A few tours include dinner on the 58th floor of the tower and Seine River Cruise.
12. Can You Buy Eiffel Tower Tickets In Advance?
You can book the Eiffel tower tickets in advance to visit and skip the crowds and lines. This lets you have a better time sightseeing the tower and taking a guided tour. Booking the Eiffel tower tickets in advance you can choose a tour and the time when it is less crowded and you can enjoy the view from the tower.
13. Can You Buy Tickets For The Eiffel Tower On The Day?
To buy the stair Eiffel tower tickets you have to visit the tower and buy them as they are not available online. Rest of the tour packages you can buy online and visit the tower for the view and sightseeing. Elevators are available if stairs are not what you want to take.
14. How Much Does It Cost To Go To The Top Of The Eiffel Tower?
To reach the top floor, the cost of the Eiffel tower tickets is €25 for adults, €12.50 for children between the age 12-24, €6.3 for children between the age 4-11, and is free for children below 4 years of age. You can reach the second floor through the stair or the lift. The various rates to reach these floors.
15. Eiffel Tower At Night
The Eiffel Tower sparkles every 5 minutes during the night. The golden light gleams throughout the city in the night. You can view this sparkling tower from a long distance in Paris in the night. It provides a spectacular view in the night.
16. Can You Take Pictures Of Eiffel Tower In The Night?
Eiffel tower facts are its illegal to take the pictures of Eiffel Tower in the night. It is protected under the act of France’s copyright law of artistic work and hence it is illegal to take pictures of the tower in the night. During the daytime, you can take pictures and videos of the tower but not during the night time.
17. Eiffel Tower Restaurant
There are two restaurants inside the Eiffel Tower. One on the first floor and the other on the second floor. Jules Verne is a high-quality French restaurant that is on the second floor and gives a stunning view of the city. It is a pricey restaurant. The restaurant on the first floor is called the 58 Tour Eiffel.
18. What Is The Restaurant In The Eiffel Tower Called?
It is called Le Jules Verne and serves top quality French cuisine. It has its own lift to reach the restaurant. There is a champagne bar at the top of the tower. You can enjoy the view from the top with a glass of champagne.
Read More: Places To Visit In Paris Tourism: Things To Do In Paris City